Re: Compressed export to Tape

From: Renato Santis <rsantis_at_ing.puc.cl>
Date: 1995/08/04

Alfred Jockisch t4878 (c9527_at_rrzc4) wrote:
> Hello, database backuppers,
> has anyone an idea, how i can write the output of the UNIX-compress to a
> DAT-Tape without first writing it to a file (which would be larger than
> the free space on my harddisks)? I want to export a large database and
> to import it on another system and my trials with named pipes and cpio
> were errors. The Oracle-Export writes to a named pipe which i get into
> the compress and compress delivers the result to standard output or a
> named pipe (successful trials) but then how to bring it to the tape
> device? There is a x-Option for cpio on our HP-UX 9.0 - system to write
> data which come from a named pipe, but it doesn't work.

> Has anyone a hint for me?

> Alfred Jockisch,
> Rechenzentrunm, DV-med
> University of Regensburg
> Germany
> E-Mail: alfred.jockisch_at_rz.uni-regensburg.de
> Phone: +49-941-944-5878

If you use a DAT you probably have a compressed device yet. Wich UNIX are you using?
In HP the compressed devices end with a 'c' (/dev/rmt/0hc). Test to write the uncompressed output to the compressed device, you may get similar results (size and time) of compress and write to the uncompressed devide.
If tou don't have such kind of devices contact your hardware vendor.

Chao.

--
Renato Santis
Applications Technical Support      Oracle Chile

Av. El Bosque Norte 0440
Piso 15/16
Las Condes
Santiago