Re: Terrible Technical Support - NOT

From: Mike Perkins <Mike.Perkins_at_DaytonOH.ATTGIS.COM>
Date: 1995/08/03

Hi Ron,
It's really funny how one customer can get support that he would call satisfactory will another will say it is pure crap. In fact Ron and I both work for the same company in different departments and I will classify Oracle Support as absolutely pitiful. I once called Oracle regarding a GL Financials problems on a production system. I called the problem in as a down production system because without the module working we were unable to load transactions into the GL ( making a GL pretty useless ). The analyst that I worked with gathered the appropriate information and said that he would call me back. When I inquired as to when he would call me back he said 'Probably today, maybe tomorrow'. That is unexceptable for a down production system. Possibly the most frustrating trend with Oracle Support is that they don't return calls in a timely manner
-

taking hours, even days to follow up. You have to keep calling and calling and sit by your phone because you are afraid to miss the call and start the whole process over again.

Although some might just say this is a customer expecting to much from support I disagree. I have worked as a support analyst on UNIX systems and we had strict guidelines that we had to follow regarding callbacks to customers and resolution times of incidents ( or escalation to the next level of support ). Although the procedures were not followed 100% of the time, straying away from the procedures was an exception and not the norm. With Oracle it seems that it is pot luck with the level of support that you receive.

Also, in regards to the support package you pay for; bronze, silver, and gold.
I'm not sure about this but I think that refers to the hours in which you can

create in TAR. I doubt that Oracle says we have three support packages; 1)sorry- out of luck, 2)you might get help, and 3)we only help you because you pay more in support. But then again I have been wrong before.

Mike

->==========Ron Beery, 8/2/95==========
->
->>In article <3vm21i$d92_at_ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> Patrick Elliott writes:
->>I just had a very bad experience with Oracle tech support that I would
->like t
->>share with you all.
->
-><stuff deleted>
->
->>I know we only have bronze support, but this is ridiculous.
->
->My CSI number has Silver support. I've been rather pleased with the
->response I've recieved. I've called for support on V7.1.3 and Financials
->10.4.2 running on an AT&T/NCR 3000. Last month I had big time problems
->with production at 2AM, Eastern time. The support rep in the UK dug out
->the
->exact problem and fix to get me running again. I've had problems with
->export
->and import and they had timely solutions. I've had problems during the
->Financails upgrade from 9.4 to 10.4.2. They were there with the solutions
->over
->the phone, shipping patch tapes, even emailing new sql scripts which I
->received
->within an
->hour or two. And yes, I've had a couple times where Support could have
->been
->better, but that is the exception.
->
->As far as getting support goes: I'm pretty much satisfied.
->
->Of course, I'd rather not have to call Support in the first place to
->resolve
->problems with their upgrades and to get patches, etc.
->
->
->
->
->Ron Beery
->Everything is computerized. What could possibly go wrong?
->
->
->
->
->

Michael C. Perkins
AT&T Global Information Solutions

"Dave is cool, the Cup is on his show, ergo hockey is cool !"
- David Letterman