Re: Reverse engineering of database definitions

From: Jon Finke <finkej_at_ts.its.rpi.edu>
Date: 1995/08/03

In article <tok.62.301C7E4A_at_sni.dk>, Tom Krühlmann <tok_at_sni.dk> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a tool, that will run with Oracle 6 as well as 7, and
>which is able to extract table / index definitions as well as views and
>synonyms and perhaps users ?

The following paper will be presented at LISA '95, 9th Systems Administration Conference, September 17-22, 1995 Monterey Conference Center, Monterey CA. It may be of interest. This particular program generates HTML, but other versions generate LaTeX, and nroff versions.

SQL_2_HTML: Automatic Generation of HTML Database Schemas

The ongoing development of our relational database based system administration package, Simon, requires frequent reference to documentation that describes the existing database tables. To this end we have written a program that uses descriptive information stored in the database itself, to generate a WWW tree that documents each table in HTML, as well as an index page to tie the whole package together. This has made looking up table definitions simply a click or two away and has proven to be very useful. These HTML pages are now also being included in some of our program documentation of the Simon system.

A compressed PostScript copy of the paper.

     <ftp://ftp.rpi.edu/pub/its-papers/simon-LISA9-sql2html.ps.Z>.

This paper will be presented at LISA IX, Monterey CA, September 1995.

--
Jon Finke                           finkej_at_rpi.edu
Senior Network Systems Engineer     http://www.rpi.edu/~finkej