Re: SQL*Forms 3 Question

From: Gordon E. Hooker <gordonh_at_acslink.net.au>
Date: 1995/08/03

sturner_at_athena.mit.edu (Stephen Turner) wrote:

>Here's one for forms 3 gurus - if a user tries to commit something
>which generates an oracle error (e.g. inserting a duplicate index value
>or trying to insert with a null value in a mandatory field) is there
>any way to have the form know exactly what the error is?

>Such errors (on an insert) generate a forms error 40508 which is a
>generic error - is there any way to find out more specific error
>information. It would be nice to be able to display a more meaningful
>error message and not make the user have to press Display Error to
>see what the problem is.

>Steve Turner

Yes Steve,

Place some exception handling code in your forms, and write more meaningful error messages based on what is returned from the database.

Gordon Hooker MACS PCP                                     ,--_|\
25 Clarke Street, Ripley, Queensland, 4306, Australia     /      \
gordonh_at_acslink.net.au                                    \_.--._/
mobile: 018883835 phone: 61-7-2889716                           V
The opinions you read here are mine and not necessarily those of my employers. Although, I must say they are the truth, the whole truth, and nothing like the truth. As far as I'm concerned anyway... Received on Thu Aug 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message