Re: VMS->UNIX port experiences?

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/08/03

In article <3vqnbs$3f4_at_nntpd.lkg.dec.com>, roderick_at_eps.enet.dec.com (Lisa Roderick) wrote:

> In article <3v5a1s$j5e_at_inn-amct.atc.alcoa.com>, gilber01_at_ssw.alcoa.com
> says...
> >
> >In article <806708884snz_at_osil.demon.co.uk>, Dave Herdman
 <dherdman_at_osil.demon.co.uk> says:

> >>Hi
> >>
> >>We are looking at porting a fairly big V7 application from AXP VMS
> >>to UNIX (probably AIX). Any one out there done this { they must have!}
> >>There is quite a lot of C code for reports and IAP exits etc
> >
> >Out of curiousity ... why are you moving from Alpha OpenVMS to AIX.
> >Does Oracle not support the DEC platforms (even DEV UNIX) as well as
> >the real UNIX shops?????
> >
> >Jill
> >gilber01_at_ssw.alcoa.com
>
> Ditto. Why are you moving to UNIX? And if you must move to UNIX, why not
> move to Digital UNIX? Your Alpha hardware already supports it - all you
 need is
> a license and the Digital UNIX kit.
> --
> Lisa Roderick
> Applications Systems Engineering Performance Group
> Digital Equipment Corporation
> Nashua, NH
> lisa.roderick_at_zko.mts.dec.com

Ditto, ditto.

We are running on Alpha OpenVMS 6.1 and couldn't be happier. We considered moving to Unix when we needed to retire our vacuum tube Vax equipment but jumped to the Alpha when we saw the price/performance ratios. Especially since it avoided having to retrain on Unix.

Even if you need to move to Unix, Digital Unix will allow you to take advantage of the extremely low cost of the Alpha hardware you already have.

You might even be able to bluff your way through to a cheaper license migration with Oracle Corp, since you aren't changing your hardware platform, just the operating system (hey, you never know!). The savings in your licensing costs alone may be worth trying it.

Matt... Received on Thu Aug 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message