Re: Exporting across Platforms

From: <ericl_at_community.net>
Date: 1995/08/03

In article <3upel9$ldf_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com>,

   surman_at_oracle.com (Scott Urman) wrote:
>In article <3up3f5$82h_at_gw.PacBell.COM>, ardamon_at_srv.PacBell.COM (Tony
Damon) writes:

 <snip>

>|> I'm sending an export file created on an IBM VM (EBCDIC) via FTP to a
 Sun/Solaris
>|> (ASCII) machine. If I try sending in ASCII mode I get an 'abnormal end
 of export
>|> file' error when I import. If I send it in BINARY mode I get a 'not a
 valid
>|> export file' error. Any suggestions?
>|>
>|> VM Oracle version - 7.0.16
>|> Unix Oracle version - 7.1.4

>My guess would be the difference in character sets. Check to see if your
 FTP
>program (or some other utility) can translate between EBCDIC and ASCII.

You might try spooling the data to a file on the IBM machine. You could then transfer the data to the UNIX platform using an EBCDIC to ASCII conversion. Then you should be able to load the data into Oracle on the UNIX machine using SQL Loader.

This worked for us. I hop that it will help

Good Luck

Eric Levinson Received on Thu Aug 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message