Re: Reverse engineering of database definitions

From: Darryl Snedeker x52168 <dsnedeke>
Date: 1995/08/02

I agree with Eric's remarks regarding the S-Designor tool as I have evaluated this tool as well. However, this tool has some shortcomings. As a DBA or developer, having knowledge of all indexes for all tables is what I consider absolutely necessary. The S-Designor tool does not allow for the pictorial representation of secondary (non-pk, non-fk) indexes. Now you have this wonderful tool, but you still must reference the data dictionary for this information. In my environment, this is impractical. I have articulated this shortcoming as well as others to the S-Designor folks. There are very responsive but, could not indicate if such a change could/would ever occur. If representing cardinality on the Physical model is important to you, you will be disappointed in this regard as well.

Now that I'm done slamming, I would like to recommend an alternative, but I cannot as I have not found any vendor tool capable of facilitating a pictorial representation of secondary indexes in the format of my preference. Now while ERWIN will pictorially display secondary indexes, you must be prepared to re-educate your customers and developers. The ERWIN product uses the IDEF1X standard and is quite different from the crows-feet & crosses we've all become too familiar with. The IDEF1X standard is excellent and I think it quite possiblyis the best. I would utilize it if I weren't faced with answering IDEF1X questions from the 600+ customers I have.

There is Light.
A vendor did make contact with me regarding prior remarks I submitted to the net several days ago. I would share their name, but I'm not in a position where I want to blindly endorse a software vendor because they said their software can levitate monitors. I will followup though with any interested parties on the findings of my evaluation. Email, of course.

Good Luck

--
Darryl Snedeker 		ph# (512) 602-2168
Senior Database Administrator	fax (512) 602-5018