Re: Problems with SQLNET V2 on a VAX

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/08/02

In article <3viuv4$q9a_at_phcoms4.seri.philips.nl>, bfletzbe_at_austria.cp.philips.com wrote:

> These are the effect, if i try to connect to a RS6000 Oracle 7.0.16
>
> ORACLE>sqlplus system/manager_at_ma48

 [snip...it works fine...]

> and these are the effects if i try to connect to a local database
> on the vax
>
> ORACLE>sqlplus system/manager_at_csistest
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.3.1.3 - Production on Mon Jul 31 16:59:08 1995
>
> Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.
>
> ERROR: ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated
 server process

> The holder of the database has all rights, inclduing this for detaching
 proceesses.

> We are running UCX on the VAX.

 [snip...removed configuration files...]

> Thanks in advance Bernhard

Bernhard,

I believe your problem may lie in the privs that have been granted to the account that started the listener. If that account does not have the ability (or quotas) necessary to spawn detached processes, you will not be able to spawn the necessary server process.

I don't have much experience in this area, but I encountered a similar privilege problem.

Matt... Received on Wed Aug 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message