SQL - need real basic info

From: Bill Ridlon <outdoors_at_mainelink.net>
Date: 1995/08/02

I need some pretty basic information. I've been pretty sheltered in the mainframe and PC world for the past 20 years but now my company is jumping into the world of DEC Alphaservers. Our critical systems will be migrated to these new platforms and reside within RMS databases. I have a gut feeling that using that type of database will only allow us to use DEC tools and I'd like to have a lot more options. I've heard a lot about SQL tools and databases but am not sure what the benefits are to having such a thing. Could anyone help me out with experiences/reasons/etc? What do I gain from an Oracle database vs. any other kind? TIA,
Bill Ridlon
Software Development
The Portland Newspapers
Portland, Maine, USA
outdoors_at_mainelink.net Received on Wed Aug 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message