Re: Oracle Parallel Server - What is it ?

From: Simon Thompson <scthomp_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1995/08/02

In message <3vkini$916_at_luxor.mch.sni.de> - baier_at_d255s271.mch.sni.de (Hr. Baier PD432 tel. 48096) writes:
:>
:>Dave Slade (davesl_at_aladdin.co.uk) wrote:
:>: Hi all,

:>: I understand there is a form of an Oracle Database server described as
:>: 'Parallel'. Does anybody, in general, know what this is; and what
:>: does it give above a standard system (If there is such a thing!) ?

:>It is an option in the db-server, which allows you to access a database,
:>located on shared disks, from more than 1 instances/nodes in shared mode.
:>It supports SMP clusters and MPP systems. The goal is high availability.

There is a sub-option that is the Parallel Query Option. It lets you run queries in Parallel, build indexes (indices?) in Parallel, and load data in Parallel. It works on SMP boxes, and, I assume, MPP boxes.

Probably simpler than the Parallel server, but helps with some key performance areas.

| Simon Thompson

| Christchurch
| New Zealand Received on Wed Aug 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message