Re: Oracle Parallel Server - What is it ?

From: Hr. Baier PD432 tel. 48096 <baier_at_d255s271.mch.sni.de>
Date: 1995/08/01

Dave Slade (davesl_at_aladdin.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi all,

: I understand there is a form of an Oracle Database server described as
: 'Parallel'. Does anybody, in general, know what this is; and what
: does it give above a standard system (If there is such a thing!) ?

: I could take a couple of guesses I suppose - maybe something along the
: lines of fault tolerance/performance ??

: Is this beast a special version of the basic DBMS software or is it
: some kind of 'add-on' software which allows colaboration of different
: machines/instances ?

: Any info welcome - Many thanks

: Dave

: ------------------------------
: Dave Slade ( davesl_at_aladdin.co.uk )

: Hampshire, UK.

It is an option in the db-server, which allows you to access a database, located on shared disks, from more than 1 instances/nodes in shared mode. It supports SMP clusters and MPP systems. The goal is high availability.

Normally, different applications would run on the nodes of the cluster, accessing one database.

If one of the node fails, the clients have only to connect to one of the remaining nodes, which can run the application of the crashed one.

The lock management is done by Oracle's Parallel Cache Management (PCM) and by a Distributed Lock Manager (DLM), which in most cases is a component of the OS (as it is in Siemens-Nixdorf's RM600 cluster).

Karl Baier < baier.muc_at_sni.de > SIEMENS NIXDORF Informationssysteme AG
				   Oracle-SNI-Competence-Center
				   Munich, Germany