Re: Select statement question

From: Simon Thompson <scthomp_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1995/08/01

In message <3vi0mn$fhg_at_auntie.bbcnc.org.uk> - i-jacob_at_nimr.mrc.ac.uk (Ian Jacob ) writes:
:>
:>In article <3vgpgp$pbr_at_warez.psyber.com>, rcox_at_jasmine.psyber.com says...
:>>
:>>I need to pull some data out of an Oracle database with SQL. It would

 greatly
:>>simplify my life if, somehow, through the select statement I could
 insert
:>>commas and quotes in such a manner that my spool file would be a comma
:>>delimeted format. If this is possible please let me know.
:>
:>You can achieve the same with sqlplus. Try running the example below:-
:>
:>select ''''||dummy||''''||','||''''||dummy||'''' from dual

The problem is that you have to make the record size that of the maximum row. Consequently, Oracle adds spaces to the end. This negates one of the advantages of ASCII delimited - variable row lengths. It makes the file larger than it should be, in some cases much larger.

I use Browser or Paradox to export to ASCII delimited files.

| Simon Thompson

| Christchurch
| New Zealand Received on Tue Aug 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message