Re: perl and oracle

From: Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1995/08/01

In article <3ue168$2t9_at_lll-winken.llnl.gov>, Arnold Weinstein <weinstein1_at_llnl.gov> wrote:
> dbambw_at_gsusgi2.gsu.edu (Michael) wrote:
> >
> > Subject says it all. Is perl able to read Oracle? I would try
> > this for myself, but we haven't yet installed Oracle here.
> >
> > Thanks in advance..
>
> The is an extension to PERL called ORAPERL that can read the ORACLE database.
> It allows you to create a CURSOR and read record columns into local perl
> variables. ORAPERL works and is free. You can get ORAPERL from
> ftp.demon.co.uk:/pub/perl/db .
>
> I disclaim. These are my views and not necessarily refelect those of LLNL.

My pre-canned reply:

---
Perl4 oraperl will not work with Perl5.  A new database independent
standard interface is being developed for Perl5.

An oracle module which uses that interface is also being developed. The
oracle module includes an oraperl emulation interface. Other database
drivers will be developed over time.

Alpha releases of this software are available from ftp.demon.co.uk in
/pub/perl/db/ but are not recommended for production use at this time.

For more information and to keep informed about progress you can join
the perldb mailing list by sending a message to
perldb-interest-request_at_vix.com (it may take a few days to be processed).

All discussion related to this work should take place on the mailing list.

Tim.