DEFRAG TableSpace

From: Doug Anderson <dganderso_at_figmnt.tayloru.edu>
Date: 1995/07/31

   We have a disk defragmenter that secretly runs when the system has been very unused. It looks for fragmented files on fragmented disks and cleans them up. If you don't know about fragmentation look at the DEFRAG utility on DOS 6.2.

   In any case, Oracle needs the same thing for Tablespaces. Everyone knows it. Why don't we hear of such a thing coming in a not-too-distant release? Is it because some DBAs get their jollies out of spending weekends Exporting and Importing?

  • In Disbelief and Utter Consternation,
    • Doug 'a-Base Administrator' Anderson (DBA)