Re: Looking for Oracle-based Task Schedulers.

From: Kim Hughes <Kim=Hughes%NA%Contractors_at_bangate.compaq.com>
Date: 1995/07/31

lin_h_at_synapse.bms.com (Herng-Chang Lin) wrote:

> Looking for product information of Oracle-based task schedulers
> which utilize timer/clock to schedule database operations (DML,
> DDL, stored procedure, etc.) periodically (eg. every 5 min, every
> hour, daily, weekly, etc.). Both the task programs/commands and
> the scheduling data may be stored in Oracle tables.
> Thanks.

The DBMS_JOBS routines do provide the scheduling you are looking for, however, be aware starting up the DBMS_JOB queues add an additional background process for every queue you start. These background processes are labled as "SNAPSHOT" processes running at the indicated interval in the init.ora parameter JOB_QUEUE_INTERVAL. We found these processes slowed the instance considerablly. Another problem we encountered was if one of the jobs scheduled included a database link activity using SQL*Net V2 adnt the destination listener had been brought down or restarted, the jobs would fail du to an ORA-12203 error. The job queues had to be restarted to correct this error. This can only be accomplished by restarting the instance.

Yes, DBMS_JOBS will schedule Oracle stored procedures for a price!

Kim Hughes
DRT Systems International
Houston, Tx Received on Mon Jul 31 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message