Re: Windows freezing during SQL*PLUS execution.

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/07/30

Randy Fought <FOUGHTRL_at_CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU> wrote:

> When performing data manipulation operations from a client
>Windows i486 machine using SQL*PLUS the client machine gets
>locked up (no other work can be done on the client, can't even
>ALT-TAB to program manager).
> This occurs on long updates, alter tables (adding
>primary keys, enabling foreign keys, etc). All the work is being
>done on the server - no traffic at all over SQL*NET other than
>the SQL code.
> I know Windows (in this case Windows for Workgroups) is
>not a very good multi-tasking OS but this is ridiculous. Or, has
>Oracle written bad code that doesn't return control back to windows
>while the server machine does its task?
> Anybody have the same problem. Is there a system setting of
>some kind on the client to alleviate this problem?
>Thanks in advance - Randy Fought

This is a SQL*Net "feature". Anything(SQL*Plus, Forms,Powerbuilder, ODBC) using SQL*Net for Windows will exhibit this behaviour.

The ability to have "non-blocking queries" as oracle call it is provided with SQL*Net V2.1, but the application has to be written to take advantage of it. This is currently only available to Oracle so the latest CDE2/Developer 2000 tools can take advantage of it. In forms and reports you have to set an option, I don't know about SQL*Plus.

The necessary API calls are to be added to OCI (the Oracle Call Interface ) soon so third parties can take advantage of it. Received on Sun Jul 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message