Re: Large Stored procedures

From: Thomas B. Cox <tcox_at_tcox.ip.portal.com>
Date: 1995/07/29

Murthy Jarugumilli <murthy_at_tcs.com> wrote:

=>Hi all
=>Are there any issues to writing large stored procs other than the
=>memory associated with loading it?

If you are developing from MS Windows, then the largest stored proc (or package body) must be less than 32k in size. That's due to a SQL*Net bug ...

=>I have a complex application
=>where I can do most of the processing in a stored proc. This is a
=>multi user system and there are lot of other applications running
=>with the same database. If I make a single stored proc call from a
=>Pro*C program and if this stored proc happens to run for a while, am
=>I blocking any other processes in any way on the server? I was
=>wondering, in whose context the stored procs actually get executed.

As I recall, you want to do this using a "dedicated server" i.e. not multi-threaded server, as sometimes this can block other people using the same MTS server. But I have not hit the problem directly.

 -Tom

Thomas B. Cox, TrueNorth Consulting, Inc.

Author of /Oracle Workgroup Server Handbook/, ISBN 0-07-881186-4 Received on Sat Jul 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message