Re: Optimal DB_BLOCK_SIZE ??

From: Darryl Snedeker x52168 <dsnedeke>
Date: 1995/07/28

Willy,

We are using raw device partitions to manage a VLDB with over 500 datafiles. Quite honestly, we have been successful but the problems of implementing the use of Raw device partitions have been few but, significant. Significant because we associate a symbolic link with a single raw device partition. This link for all intensive purposes, is the file name the database will use. If you have well over 500 of these babies, how do put a mechanism in place to ensure that two completely links (Ricky & Lucy) do not point to the exact same raw device partition. Please recognize that if you do this wrong ONCE, you've just entered the world of recovery. In our situation, this encompassed the restoration of only one 1/2Gb datafile, but the 36Gb of archive log data ruined my W/E.

So while you strongly recommend this solution, I have to say that I would be strongly interested in how to do this so it works successfully....everytime. I am not a UNIX guru, so please have patience with me. Thank you.

--
Darryl Snedeker 		ph# (512) 602-2168
Senior Database Administrator	fax (512) 602-5018