Question re: long datatype and text searches

From: Jeff Hughes <jeff.hughes_at_ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM>
Date: 1995/07/27

All,

Just looking for anyone's input on how they would approach searching for keywords in a group of tables with >4000 long type text entries. Average long entry is probably about 100-200 words. Is there any way to use Oracle to do the searching? I think from my limited Oracle knowledge that the long type isn't capable of being used for any search criteria.

I am considering creating a separate table of mappings from words to their respective report id's. The tradeoff here is obviously space for speed. Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff Hughes
Jeff.Hughes_at_ColumbiaSC.ATTGIS.COM Received on Thu Jul 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message