Help: Rollback segment problems

From: Matt Wu <mwu_at_symantec.com>
Date: 1995/07/26

I recently ran into these errors:

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment (id = 7)
ORA-01650: unable to extend rollback segment RB6 by 50 in Tablespace
           ROLLBACK_DATA

When I ran a script that adds a PL/SQL package. I really have no idea what the recursive SQL message is about since the all the script does is create a package and body and adds several functions. But the errors and codes manual says to check the next error and if it's correctable, just try to correct it, and the suggestion to fix the other errors is to expand the tablespace.

Before doing so, I looked at the tablespace in question and it claimed that it's almost 100% in use. This seems strange to me because even after shutting down the database and starting it up again, it still claims that nearly the whole tablespace is in use. Is there a reason why space cannot be reclaimed? I'm expanding the tablespace now, for lack of anything better to do, but I'd like to know why this is happening.

By the way, I'm using Oracle Workgroup Server for Win NT.

Thanks,

Matt
mwu_at_symantec.com Received on Wed Jul 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message