Re: HP LVM and Oracle

From: darryl snedeker <darryl.snedeker_at_amd.com>
Date: 1995/07/26

I appreciate your remarks regarding LVM as we are about to implement a RAID architecture this weekend for our HP machines in California.

I thought you may also be interested in knowing that our RAID on a SUN screams, however it is always important to quantify the overused term RAID, with more specificity. There is a significant distinction between running in a standard RAID mode versus running under a RAID-5 configuration, which happens to be our intention. Before configuring our 100Gb disk array, we had a fire (figuratively). The fire required that we create a large partition on the disk array to the tune of 90Gb+. We had a single Oracle tablespace striped across 32 devices (NOTE: Not RAID-5) and we found that Oracle performed astonishly well (ie. the fire was doused quickly). The beauty of this configuration is that while Oracle may see 30+ 1/2Gb datafiles, the array managed the load, and well.

I have three white papers on this whole issue (retrieved from the net) and still have many unanswered questions, however my initial feelings on this are rather positive.

Best of luck,

Darryl Snedeker
Senior Database Administrator Received on Wed Jul 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message