Question about relations

From: Mike Gisonda <mike.gisonda_at_factory.com>
Date: 1995/07/25

I have a picular problem that maybe someone out there can help with. I am currently running a Basic program on a DataGeneral system. I'm looking to move the databases to an external database engine. Now here is my problem. Two of the major databases used with in the application are not normalized. One table contains multiple record types defined by a single byte located with in the key. Each record type has a completely different structure.

Can I use a database engine with this files without normalizing the files and with out making coding changes. Or can I normalize the files but somehow make it appear to my basic application as on file? Or should I just scrap the whole idea from the begining? By the way, the application contains over 700 basic programs that would need to be altered if I normalize the data.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Mike Received on Tue Jul 25 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message