Re: ORA 1090 Shutdown in progress

From: Gary Eckhardt <dcigary_at_txdirect.net>
Date: 1995/07/25

gato01_at_ix.netcom.com (Irvin Betts) wrote:

>In <3utvb2$k2f_at_bingnet1.cc.binghamton.edu>
>bpanko_at_bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu () writes:

>Your database is waiting for some user process to exit or complete prior
>to shutting down. If you need the database to shut down, and know that
>there will be some user processees still hanging on, try
> shutdown immediate

>This will abort any connections and shut down the database. I have
>applications that run 7x24 and this is the only way for me to shut
>the database down.

Yes, this is the only way you can get a database down with users on it. Just keep in mind that a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE rolls back all transactions that are pending, then shuts down. Depending on what transactions are taking place and the way your application software is written, this could be a problem. Also, if the database is having to rollback a large transaction, the shutdown could take some time.

Gary Eckhardt              |   "in this day & age...music performed by
Database Consultants, Inc. |    humans...hum!?"  --wilde silas tomkyn
dcigary_at_txdirect.net       |
gary_eckhardt_at_realworld.com| R^3 = "Real World.  Real Smart.  Real Quick."
(210)930-2080              |   http://realworld.com/dciwww/dcihome.html