ORA-600 Internal shared memory fragmentation - HELP!

From: Barry Roomberg <barry_roomberg_at_iacnet.com>
Date: 1995/07/20

I've been running 7.1.4.1 for about a month now under SCO 3.2.4.2 and have been pretty happy. I've just started to play with user defined functions, and really like them.

Just as my code that uses the user defined functions went into production use, with 30 users executing my new function around 30 times an hour PER user, Oracle starting barfing with the following errors:

ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [15428],

           [PLS Error during synonym translation],[],[],[],[],[],[] ORA-04031: unable to allocate 9712 bytes of shared memory

           ("STANDARD","PL/SQL MPCODE","BAMIMA: Grow Bam Buffer")

I saw 1 user executing my code get this error.

It also showed up in the RDBMS/LOGS/ALERT file, but I'm not sure which SQL statement triggered it.

Oracle support says this is due to shared memory fragmentation and had me run the following SQLDBA command:

ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH SHARED_POOL; They said run the ALTER daily. Didn't help, got the same error the next day.

They also told me to double my SHARED_POOL_SIZE from 1.7MB to 3.5MB. Haven't seen the error since I upped it, but that is only with 4 hours of operation behind me. Seems that upping this type of parameter will only delay the inevitable.

They said that it has NOTHING to do with me user defined function, but I detect a strong cause/effect relationship do to the timing of the error showing up.

Anybody experience this problem? If so, what did you do?!?!?

Thanks. Received on Thu Jul 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message