Re: DOS/Windows Configuration for CDE2/Developer 2000?

From: <gwong_at_ssbpost.env.gov.bc.ca>
Date: 1995/07/20

Clarence,

I've been using Designer/2000, Developer/2000 against Personal Oracle 7 on my laptop with 16Megabytes memory, and a HUGE permanent Windows swap file (60 Megs).

Running 'stand-alone' (no network drivers or tcp/ip stack loaded) with 16 Megs isn't QUITE enough, as I get infrequent GPF's when I have the database up, Designer/2000 up, as well as Forms45. However, this configuration allows me to run PO7 with Designer/2000, or PO7 with Forms4.5, but NOT BOTH at the same time.

Running against a remote database (with all the necessary network drivers and tcp/ip shtuff) is actually less stable; maybe because there is less conventional memory. Things got a little better when I was able to load most TSR's & drivers in high memory, but it is still kinda flakey.

So, the 1st choice would be to buy more RAM.

If this isn't possible:

A) Make sure you have a big permanent Windows swap file
B) Don't load unecessary drivers/TSR's (i.e. DOSKEY, SETVER, the DOS mouse driver)
C) Load the remaining drivers into high memory if possible

Hope this helps,
Gary Wong

PS Out of curiousity, are you running the executables off a LAN drive? We have tried that, and get very unstable results, so we run things on our local machines if possible. Received on Thu Jul 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message