Re: Alpha Pager Solutions For Oracle

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/07/20

I have just begun implementing alpha pager hooks into my DBA functions. The hot backup and cold backup, for example, now page me if they run into a problem.

We use RAMPAGE, by Ergonomic Solutions. For $1000, you get the hardware, software, and license for a single Vax/Alpha OpenVMS node (size/price of box doesn't matter) and about 16 different ways to send a page (DCL command, C function library, interactive application, VMSMail, Mail forwarding (with a keyword), monitoring a directory for a message file, monitoring a queue, OPCOM monitoring, etc.

Seems to have the flexibility to handle any need we may have. However, it doesn't do the monitoring for us. We do the monitoring and use one of its interfaces to get an alpha page out. Supports multiple pagers (don't know how many because we haven't hit the ceiling), multiple paging services, and multiple outgoing modems in cause your load is too high for a single modem. The modems can hang on terminal servers too.

They just added an escalation procedure to it, which we haven't tested, but the possibilities are intriguing.

I don't know of many other people that are using alpha paging, but, considering the alpha pager was an extra $2.00 a month, it shouldn't be too long before they start spreading through the industry.

Just think: the operator can't forget to page you about a problem if you give the system the ability to page you. Does that fill you with fear or let you sleep better at night?

Matt...