Re: Advantages of Ingres V's Oracle

From: Jan Diesel <jwd_at_rivm.nl>
Date: 1995/07/20

Eric.Shaw_at_barclays.co.uk wrote:
: Hi

: We are currently looking to purchase a package which is written in Oracle and
: I have been asked to produce a list of Pro's, Con's and risks involved in
: porting it to Ingres.

: Whilst not wanting to start a "My RDBMS is Better Than Your RDBMS" flame-war,
: could anyone please point me to any information which hi-lights the main
: advantages of Ingres over Oracle (or visa-versa).

Your main issue should be 'cost' of ownership. As far as I know your employer is a big ingres user. We use both Ingres and Oracle and find it hard to keep up both Ingres and Oracle expertise. These products are *very* different.
Can you afford to store data in two different databases that cannot be tied to each other in an easy way? You may not be able to buy the Oracle-package and run it against a mixed Ingres/Oracle-environment in the near future. You may also not be able to maintain the package once it is translated to Ingres....

Having said this I'll try to give a very brief opinion of Oracle/Ingres differences:
In my view Oracle is probably better for ((very) large) databases that should do with minimal maintenance / administration. Ingres is improving here.
Ingres has Windows4GL which is definitely the better tool, Oracle is improving here rapidly.
My rule of thump is: easy things are easier in Oracle, difficult things are easier in Ingres.

There are lots of other considerations that other people will point out to you. Please summarize!

Hope this helps,

Jan Diesel                                       |   Jan.Diesel_at_rivm.nl
Informatics Service Centre                       |  tel. ++31 30 742067
P.O.Box 1, 3720 BA BILTHOVEN, the Netherlands | fax. ++31 30 282316 RIVM - National Institute of Public Health and Environmental Protection Received on Thu Jul 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message