Re: Remedy Action Request System and SQL*Net?

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_sun1.fsic.ford.com>
Date: 1995/07/19

brian_at_tscc2.macarthur.uws.edu.au (Brian Watson) wrote:
>Hi,
> I am trying to install Remedy's Action Request System 2.0.1 for
>AIX 3.2.5 on an AIX 3.2.5 system. It will access an Oracle database
>on another AIX 3.2.5 machine using SQL*Net.
>
>The AR install program can't find the database and my local Remedy
>support is crap!
>
>I get:
>
>Either the ORACLE database server is not running
> or your system id or password are incorrect
>
>from the AR installer. I had a look through the install script
>and found that this message is being sent just after the $ISQL
>is called to communicate with the server. The ISQL program
>(oraload) returns:
>
>Cannot open catalog; Message number = 550 (ARERR 550)
> Error during connect - 2729 (Oracle - 2729)
>ERROR: Cannot open the database ... exiting

Is your TWO_TASK environment variable set to point to the remote database *before* you try to run the install script??

I've installed ARS on two machines here with no local Oracle at all and had no problem **providing** my TWO_TASK was set properly. For ARS, which is compiled with the SQL*Net V1 libraries, TWO_TASK must be in the form of a SQL*Net V1 "connect string" which is of the form:

       t:hostname:instance_name (for TCP/IP)

so in my case, I have TWO_TASK set to "t:eccdb1:hd" (minus the quotes, of course). "eccdb1" is a known alias of the Sequent and "hd" is the Oracle instance name I'm working with.

My setup is an HP 'E' series for an Application Server and a Sequent as the Oracle backend, but the same principle should apply.

Hope this helps!

--
Bill Meahan  wmeahan_at_sun1.fsic.ford.com
Ford Motor Company -- End User Support - North America