Re: SQL*Net expire_time parameter

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_eskimo.com>
Date: 1995/07/18

Bob Blizard <[Default: blank]> wrote:
>What I don't know, and haven't seen explained clearly, is this; If my
>PC crashes and I reboot and reconnect within the time of my
>expire_time parameter, Will SQL*Net know that my PC went away? In
>other words, does it check using session or process id, or simply
>using ip address?

I dont think there is anychance of your PC reattaching to the RBMS and picking up where it left off. I cant say for sure ofcourse but It's not a particularly easy problem and I cant see Oracle wanting to mess with it. I dont think Oracle builds any Session awareness into the connect process. Though with the multi-threaded server I guess they could.

>I am hoping it is the former, since we need to be able to kill dropped
>connections which may have row-level locks on them from SELECT... FOR
>UPDATE statements. If it is the latter, people would have to stay
>completely off until after the expire_time passes.

Unfortunatly I think the answer is to track down your PC crashing problem. An alternative would be to give your users some hook that allows them to kill thier own leftover sessions. I'm not sure how you would do this from a PC Perhaps a button on a screen that executed a stored procedure to do a kill session on all of "joeblow"s sessions except the one that called the procedure? Lots of problems with this idea though.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com