Re: Can Oracle mix with the Mac OS?

From: Michael Kranzdorf <mikek_at_krt.com>
Date: 1995/07/18

In article <3uemg7$mu3_at_nrel.nrel.gov>, Craig Robben <crobben_at_nrel.nrel.gov wrote:

> Our organization recently moved their Oracle database to a Unix box and
> now runs over TCP/IP. Mac users used to access Oracle using SoftWindows
> or a DOS card running over IPX. Now that Oracle is running over TCP/IP,
> what do the Mac users need to access the Oracle database? I know the PC
> users are now using a program called SmarTerm. Is there something
> similar for the Mac OS? I know nothing about Oracle and need advice.
> Please respond via E-mail.

MacTCP allows a Mac to speak TCP/IP. It is avaliable from www.apple.com. SmarTerm sounds like a terminal emulator, and there are many for the Mac. The one you want depends what terminal you need to emulate. Almost any communication program can do VT100 if that's all you need.

If you need to continue using PC SmarTerm on Macs, the newer Apple DOS cards and the Reply cards can do TCP/IP. In this case, you would not need MacTCP. Appropriate drivers came with the card. Apple says the original DOS cards can not do TCP/IP (though I haven't tested that). I do not know if SoftWindows does TCP/IP or not.

Michael Kranzdorf                      ---           mikek_at_krt.com
Director of Information Systems        ---                NYSE:KRT
Kranzco Realty Trust                   ---            610.941.9292