Re: Question regarding rollback segment

From: Thomas J Kyte <Thomas.J.Kyte_at_p99.f618.n283.z2.fidonet.org>
Date: 1995/07/16

From: tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas J Kyte) Subject: Re: Question regarding rollback segment Organization: Oracle Corporation. Redwood Shores, CA

parris_at_walleye.esp.bellcore.com (Parris Geiser) wrote:

>William,
> The fact that your MAXEXTENTS is 505 indicates to me that there
> is a misunderstanding on your part regarding extents. So, to be
> sure your database is created properly (along with your tables)
> it would be helpful to supply the exact parameters that you are
> using.
> parris geiser

Why does that indicate a misunderstanding on his part? If they are using an 8k block size, I believe they will get 510 or so extents on that particular system.
Maxextents varies by platform (i know that 510 max with 8k block size on a Pyramid for example works just fine).

Using a 16k block size would result in even more. The number of extents allowed
in a table is a function of the block size the database was created with.

>William D. Hankard (wdh_at_epsilon.com) wrote:
>> Hello,

>> We are running Oracle 7.1.6 on an HP 9000 T500 running
>> HP-UX 9.04

>> Here is the problem we are having; our rollback table
>> space is 3.0Gbytes in size.

>> Our initial extent is 5Mbytes
>> Our next extent is 5Mbytes also.
>> Our OPTIMAL parameter is set to 220Mbytes.
>> Our MINEXTENTS is 2
>> Our MAXEXTENTS is 505
>> Our Pro*C program commits after every 100 updates
>> A row size is less than 200Bytes

>> After about 100000 updates which is a 1000 commits, I get the 1555
>> Oracle error:

>> 01555, 00000, "snapshot too old (rollback segment too small)"

>> We have tried the following to fix the problem:
>> a. commit after every row
>> b. commit after every 50 rows
>> c. rollback segment in a non-RAID device
>> d. 20Mbyte extents.
>> e. restarted Oracle (reboot etc)
>> f. recreated rollback tablespace

>> None of these things have helped. Any suggestions or insight into this
 would
>> be of great help. Thanks in advance.

>> --
>> William D. Hankard Epsilon Data Management
>> 50 Cambridge Street Burlington MA. 01803-4692
>> Voice:(617)273-0250 Ext. 6738 High Performance Computing
>> Fax:(617)272-1760 wdh_at_epsilon.com

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government