Re: Oooh, I think I did a bad thing....

From: dragos_at_stcc.demon.co.uk <(dragos_at_stcc.demon.co.uk)>
Date: 1995/07/16

From: dragos_at_stcc.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Oooh, I think I did a bad thing....

In article <fkuyt.20.000DCC4C_at_iaehv.nl>, <fkuyt_at_iaehv.nl> writes:
news.demon.co.uk!demon!plug.news.pipex.net!pipex!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex!ho wland.reston.ans.net!news.nic.surfnet.nl!tuegate.tue.nl!news.iaehv.nl!pm2d01. IAEhv.nl!fkuyt
> From: fkuyt_at_iaehv.nl (Frank Kuijten)
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
> Subject: Re: Oooh, I think I did a bad thing....
> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 13:47:47
>
> In article <3u6p12$6i3_at_data.interserv.net> kristoff_at_baseware.com writes:
> >From: kristoff_at_baseware.com
> >Subject: Oooh, I think I did a bad thing....
> >Date: 14 Jul 1995 21:53:38 GMT

> >Hi Everyone!

> >I'm am VERY new to Oracle, so bear with me as I phrase my question. I
 have a
> >development-only database on Oracle 7.1,
> >running on Digital UNIX (OSF/1) v3.2. THERE ARE NO BACKUPS OF THE DATA
 (no one
> >is willing to pay for TBU's). I
> >was installing a product which installed its own tablespaces, etc. I
> >inadvertantly deleted the data files from the Unix
> >prompt. Now, I cannot startup the database in SQL*DBA because of the
 missing
> >data files. Is there any way to bring up
> >the database without these datafiles? I'm willing to sacrifice them, for
 now.

> >Please, please don't tell me than I'm screwed without them. After all of
 the
> >glorious things I've been told about Oracle, two small
> >tablespaces can't invalidate an entire database, can they??

> >Panic stricken,

> >Eric J. Kristoff
>
> Eric,
>
> Follow the procedure below.
>
> 1) Start up the database.
> In SQLDBA : STARTUP MOUNT;
>
> 2) Delete the datafiles from the database.
> In SQLDBA : ALTER DATABASE <sid> DATAFILE <filename> OFFLINE DROP;
>
> 3) Stop and start the database.
> In SQLDBA : SHUTDOWN;
> STARTUP;
>
> 4) Drop any objects remaining that are related to the datafiles.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Greetings,
> Frank

Something like that should work (not sure about 1. STATUP MOUNT) if you still have the SYSTEM tablespace! Otherwise you have to start again from scratch!