Re: Libraries to link ( Pro*C executable with SQL*Net2.0 )

From: Edward W. Vergragt <E.W.Vergragt_at_inter.nl.net>
Date: 1995/07/15

statham_at_bga.com (Perry Statham) wrote:

>In article <AAQGb0mqX3_at_geol.spb.su>, ant_at_geol.spb.su says...
>>
>>Hi, world !
>>
>>Is there anybody able to give me a clear sense about Oracle makefiles for
>>Pro*C programs ? What libraries are needed for Pro*C executable for being
 able
>>to connect over SQL*Net 2.1 ? Why have <proc.mk> makefile got "-lsqlnet
 -lora"
>>twice ?

>Good luck! It is a real bitch trying to figure these things out.

>>As far as I understand, the people of Oracle doesn't like
>>3GL programming at all, :-(. I've got now 7.1.3 - the third release since
>>the first 6.0.36 I've been dealing with - and all I could see is the same
>>UGLY, WITHOUT ANY RESPECT TO CUSTOMERS makefile in proc/demo directory
>>( on Unix box ). I understand that programming with GUI tools is very
>>popular - but there are a lot of things they are unable to implement so
>>I need 3GL.
>>
>>Is it so hard to give programmers clear ideas about the libraries they need
>>to link ? Two years ago I considered Unix and all stuff concerning it VERY
>>COMPLICATED by nature ( looking at 6.x.x release of Oracle ) - but now
>>I realize that it is not the feature of Unix - it's the feature of people
>>writing Unix programs. I'm very sorry about this.

>Your right!

>>That's why the market is going to Microsoft monopoly,
>>there is lot of pretty buttons there without makefiles and scripts ...

>If anyone has any replies to this, I would like to here them. As far as I am
>concerned, the Makefiles that come with the Oracle Precompilers are the worst
>in the Unix world. I absolutely DREAD porting our app to a new version or
>Oracle because of this.

>It would be really nice if Oracle could just tell us which libraries to link
>against for the different options we need (ie: sql*net, pl/sql, etc...)

Right you are! The libraries vary in name, contents and location between platforms, Oracle-ports and versions. There is (as far as we know) no way for a C-programmer to work out a structured approach.

I think we have to live with it...

SWM Automatisering, Bussum, Netherlands
Edward Vergragt

vergragt_at_inter.nl.net Received on Sat Jul 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message