Re: Defunct Processes Under Solaris 2.3?

From: Lee Parsons <Lee.Parsons_at_p99.f618.n283.z2.fidonet.org>
Date: 1995/07/15

From: lparsons_at_eskimo.com (Lee Parsons) Subject: Re: Defunct Processes Under Solaris 2.3? Organization: Eskimo North (206) For-Ever

Sumant Chaudhari <schaudha_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
>lparsons_at_world.std.com (Lee E Parsons) writes:
>>We have just upgraded to 7.1.6 under Solaris 2.3 and have just started
>>noticing defunct processes showing up.

>What patch level are you on Solaris 2.3? Are any users turning
>PCs off?

Not sure about the level and I cant check anymore because I finished this contract yesterday morning. I wouldn't bet against users turning their PC's off but I dont think this is causing the problem.

The processes left when the clients get powered down are viable. not defunct we can can kill them manually and the cleanup just find. Also The other day we noticed 40 defunct processes belonging to oracle. We had rebooted the day before and I know that I didn't login then turn of the PC 40 times :-}

Must be something else going on.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com