Re: Oooh, I think I did a bad thing....

From: <dragos_at_stcc.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/07/15

In article <fkuyt.20.000DCC4C_at_iaehv.nl>, <fkuyt_at_iaehv.nl> writes:
news.demon.co.uk!demon!plug.news.pipex.net!pipex!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex!ho wland.reston.ans.net!news.nic.surfnet.nl!tuegate.tue.nl!news.iaehv.nl!pm2d01. IAEhv.nl!fkuyt
> From: fkuyt_at_iaehv.nl (Frank Kuijten)
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
> Subject: Re: Oooh, I think I did a bad thing....
> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 13:47:47
>
> In article <3u6p12$6i3_at_data.interserv.net> kristoff_at_baseware.com writes:
> >From: kristoff_at_baseware.com
> >Subject: Oooh, I think I did a bad thing....
> >Date: 14 Jul 1995 21:53:38 GMT

> >Hi Everyone!

> >I'm am VERY new to Oracle, so bear with me as I phrase my question. I
 have a
> >development-only database on Oracle 7.1,
> >running on Digital UNIX (OSF/1) v3.2. THERE ARE NO BACKUPS OF THE DATA
 (no one
> >is willing to pay for TBU's). I
> >was installing a product which installed its own tablespaces, etc. I
> >inadvertantly deleted the data files from the Unix
> >prompt. Now, I cannot startup the database in SQL*DBA because of the
 missing
> >data files. Is there any way to bring up
> >the database without these datafiles? I'm willing to sacrifice them, for
 now.

> >Please, please don't tell me than I'm screwed without them. After all of
 the
> >glorious things I've been told about Oracle, two small
> >tablespaces can't invalidate an entire database, can they??

> >Panic stricken,

> >Eric J. Kristoff
>
> Eric,
>
> Follow the procedure below.
>
> 1) Start up the database.
> In SQLDBA : STARTUP MOUNT;
>
> 2) Delete the datafiles from the database.
> In SQLDBA : ALTER DATABASE <sid> DATAFILE <filename> OFFLINE DROP;
>
> 3) Stop and start the database.
> In SQLDBA : SHUTDOWN;
> STARTUP;
>
> 4) Drop any objects remaining that are related to the datafiles.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Greetings,
> Frank

Something like that should work (not sure about 1. STATUP MOUNT) if you still have the SYSTEM tablespace! Otherwise you have to start again from scratch! Received on Sat Jul 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message