Re: Table's pctfree value

From: Walter Schenk <wschenk_at_worm.hooked.net>
Date: 1995/07/15

In comp.databases.oracle shatzman_at_netcom.com (barry) said:

>: 5) An index is supposed to always have pctfree=0, because his
>: values (table's primary keys) will be never changed.
>NOT TRUE. I'm not an expert on indexes, b-trees, etc, so i always use 10
 to be
>safe (i'm open to suggestions!)

The pctfree parameter on an index structure works different than on a data structure. When the index is first created, ORACLE will leave empty space in each block according to the pctfree specifications. However, AFTER the index is created it will fill up all index blocks to the max!! In other words, if you always create your indexes before entering data in the underlying tables than the pctfree parameter of your index DDL is worthless!

Walter Schenk
SoluTech Consulting Services Inc
wschenk_at_solutech.com Received on Sat Jul 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message