Re: Tablespace limitations

From: Stephen Taws <Stephen.Taws_at_p99.f618.n283.z2.fidonet.org>
Date: 1995/07/15

From: tawscomp_at_wintermute.co.uk (Stephen Taws) Subject: Re: Tablespace limitations

mtackett_at_dayton.csc.com (Michael Tackett) wrote:

>I am running ORACLE7 on a HP-UX machine. I am relatively new to ORACLE DBA
>administration. I am getting an error ORA-01118: cannot add any more database
>files: limit of 30 exceeded. Does anyone know what might be causing this
>problem?

>Thanks,
>Mike Tackettt

I Think your problem is that you have created a database with a maximum database files default of 30 files. This means that your database cannot grow any further.

To fix your problem, create a new,copy database with the maxdatafiles set to a large value, say 121. examine how big your database is at present in order to size the creation your tablespace datafiles. Use export to copy your data.

NB. Make sure you know the defaults when you create a database, some of them are a lot lower than you imagine.

Steve Taws