Re: Tablespace limitations

From: SUN SS10 <sunss10_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/07/14

>I am getting an error ORA-01118: cannot add any more database
>files: limit of 30 exceeded. Does anyone know what might be causing this
>problem?

Mike,
Oracle imposes a maximum limit on the number of data files for any ORACLE database opened by any instance. At database creation, you must indicate the maximum number of data files expected for the database so that an adequate amount of space can be reserved in the database's control file. You set this limit with the MAXDATAFILES parameter in the CREATE DATABASE statement. This maximum cannot exceed the ORACLE system limit or any operating system limit. The default value is operating system specific. ORACLE provides a default value if MAXDATAFILES is not included in your CREATE DATABASE statement. I THINK your only solution is to do a full export, a full tape backup, nuke your database and create another (with MAXDATAFILES > 30), and then import your data. Sorry about all the work; to bad the parameter isn't in the init.ora file.

David Power
Oracle DBA
Computer Sciences Corporation (SED)
F-16 Systems Program Office
powerdr_at_ypmail.wpafb.af.mil Received on Fri Jul 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message