Re: SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQL*Net SPX - coexist peacefully?

From: Helge Petersen <petersen_at_com1.dwhl.de>
Date: 1995/07/13

fragante_at_unixg.ubc.ca (Gerardo P. Fragante) writes:

>My Windows development PC is currently using SQL*Net TCP/IP to access the
>Oracle7 Server on a Unix machine. I need to also access an Oracle6 Server on a
>Novell network.

>Can I install SQL*Net SPX on the same PC? Will it affect the current settings
>used by SQL*Net TCP/IP? My only understanding is that both will create and
>store their files in the \ORAWIN directory. My concern is that installing
>SQL*Net SPX may overwrite current files and settings.

>Thanks for any advise.
>GV

Hi all,
We tried this configuration to make handling our network installations easier.
We're running a few PCs with Netware 4.x and other with Sun PC-NFS 5.x. All Clients mount the Oracle software from their server, in the first case a Netware 4.x server, in the other case a UNIX-Maschine via NFS. We'd like to use exactly the same configuration on both sides with one exception: the tnsnames.ora (As you see, we're using SQL*Net 2.x). This installation was ok and we could use this in both situations. So I don't think that SQL*Net SPX overwrites files from TCP/IP or vice versa.

But we didn't go on with this because we got strange errors, when the connection via SQL*Net TCP/IP had no success, e.g. "Couldn't find NWCALLS.DLL" or "Missing NETWARE.DRV". This is confusing, because we never tried to connect via SPX from this PC.

But in your case there is another problem: Did you ever try to run both protocols, IPX and TCP/IP, under Windows, with FULL funtionality ??
We tried this with Netware 4.x and Sun PC-NFS 5.x and had big problems to run the Netware User Tools and e.g. Telnet simultanously. And I believe this must be able to run SQL*Net SPX and TCP/IP simultanously.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Helge

Helge Petersen                           Datenbankadministrator
Draeger Synematic GmbH                   D-23558 Luebeck, Germany
Tel. 0451/882-4044   Fax -3031           Email petersen_at_dwhl.de