Need advice, Grant access to View or Table?

From: Eddy Setiawan <setiawan_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: 1995/07/12

Hi,

I need to set-up an Oracle database for our in-house application development. My question is, should I:

  1. Grant access directly to the base tables, or
  2. Create views for the tables and grant access to views.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the above set-up? Assuming the access, if given, will be for all the columns in the tables (no subsetting).

TIA,

--
Eddy Setiawan (setiawan_at_singnet.com.sg)
DBA, National Computer Board of Singapore (NCB), http://www.ncb.gov.sg