Re: Space problem when running two db at the same time (question)

From: (wrong string) ühlmann <tok_at_sni.dk>
Date: 1995/07/10

In article <3tr792$be6_at_erinews.ericsson.se> "wei he (martletts)" <etlwihe_at_etlxdmx.ericsson.se> writes:
>From: "wei he (martletts)" <etlwihe_at_etlxdmx.ericsson.se>
>Subject: Space problem when running two db at the same time (question)
>Date: 10 Jul 1995 12:43:14 GMT

>Hi

>I tried to run two databases at the same time but got a problem. Hope someone
>can give me a help.

>Basically, when I start up another instance without shut down the one running, I
>got a error message as follow:

>CAUTION

>ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable
>to get first semaphore set.
>SunOS Error: 28: No space left on device
>Additional information: 2

>Orcale support said this is a problem with space on the platform. In fact
>the hard disk which conatins all the files (data file, control file etc)
>for the two database still has a lot of space (more than 500 M). I don't
>understand which space that the error message was talking about.

Hello !
The error has got nothing to do with space as in HDD space. It however means, that your kernel ( I'm asuming Unix here ) isn't configured for enough resources.
Take a look at the installation guide for Oracle on your platform, concerning shared memory and semaphores, add about 50 %, reconfigure your kernel, reboot, and I'll bet you can get your databases to run concurrently.

Regards Tom Krühlmann
tok_at_sni.dk