Re: Oracle Designer 2000 Installation Problems

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/07/10

I've done about 1/2 dozen installs of 6.0.5 the past several weeks. All of which went quite smoothly. Following are the "tricks" I've been using (courtesy Mike Gwyer, Oracle UK).

The Designer/2000 team have recently put a lot of effort into improving the installation and performance of Designer/2000 version 6.0.5 running against Personal Oracle7.

The following notes detail a series of simple steps to install Designer/2000
Version 6.0.5 on Personal Oracle7.

Please note that this information is targetted at the 6.0.5 release. The
version number of SQL*Plus and the number of repository objects may well
differ for the 6.0.6 release.

Installation

Using a benchmark machine of:

                                Toshiba 6600C
                                486 66DX2
                                32 Mb of RAM
                                500Mb hard disk
                                80Mb virtual memory.

we have developed and verified a straightforward installation method that
allows the Repository to install easily and reliably.

The key points are:

        i.      Use the correct version of SQL*Plus ( 3.1.2.2.6 )
        ii.     Configure the server as detailed below.

Following these two points should make the installation of Designer/2000
a simple case of invoking the Repository Administration Utility, and hitting the install button.

  1. Install Personal Oracle 7 ( Version 7.1.4 ), accepting the default installation.
  2. Install Designer/2000 ( Version 6.0.5 ), accepting the default installation.
  3. Install SQL*Plus version 3.1.2.2.6 from the Designer/2000 CD. (Use Custom install/de-install option, SQL*Plus is under CDE2 Toolset)
  4. Invoke Database Manager and create a configuration with: Log Buffer Size 128 Sort Buffer Size 512 Shared Pool Size 14000 Block Buffers 1000 Open Cursors 200
  5. Startup the database.
  6. Invoke SQL*Plus as System and run ALTER TABLESPACE SYSTEM ADD DATAFILE 'new filename' SIZE 60M REUSE; ALTER TABLESPACE ROLLBACK_DATA ADD DATAFILE 'new file' SIZE 10M REUSE; Create a user ( eg OBS ) with unlimited quota on SYSTEM.
  7. Invoke SQL*Plus as SYS and ruin GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_PIPE TO PUBLIC; GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_LOCK TO PUBLIC; GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_SQL TO PUBLIC; GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_TRANSACTION TO PUBLIC; GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_UTILITY TO PUBLIC;
  8. Invoke the Repository Admin Utility as the user ( eg OBS ) and execute 'Install Repository Owner', ignoring any warnings about the user's privileges.

Following these steps has resulted in numerous successful installations across a variety of different PCs.

However, it has been known for different brands/configrations of PCs to display dramatically different behavior from others, even when performing
something as straightforward as the installation detailed above. The following
diagnostics and rebuild scripts may come in useful.

Diagnostics

If you get an error message after the first import of step 8 concerning your database not having the Procedural Option, then check you have performed step 7 above.

A vanilla installation of Designer/2000 should contain the following number of objects.

select object_type, count(object_name)
from user_objects
group by object_type
/

OBJECT_TYPE COUNT(OBJECT_NAME)

------------- ------------------
INDEX                        144
PACKAGE                      311
PACKAGE BODY                 311
SEQUENCE                       6
SYNONYM                        1
TABLE                         89
TRIGGER                       16
VIEW                         211

-JJ

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle CASE Consulting and Training
 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119
 Belmont, CA 94002
 Voice: 415-571-7092
 FAX: 800-665-1379
 CompuServe: 76702,456
 Internet: jjacobs_at_well.com
 Internet: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com

In <449455243wnr_at_kane.demon.co.uk> Mike J Cox <mike_at_kane.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> Has anyone had experience installing Designer 2000?
>>
>> I have encountered several problems but most recently with an "out
 of
>> process memory" error.
>
>Our DBA guys had plenty of problems with the packages, though not
 memory related, if you havent already done so give