Re: 12154 TNS: could not resolve database name

From: Jeffrey B. Callison <ctg05243_at_gateway.ctg.com>
Date: 1995/07/09

On 3 Jul 1995, Chuck Hamilton wrote:

> That message usually means that you don't have an entry in the
> tnsnames.ora file for the database you're trying to connect to. The
> exact contents of that entry depends on the network protocol and host
> o/s.
> --
> Chuck Hamilton
> chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com
>
> Incoming fire has the right of way!

Dear Chuck;

Have seen this problem occur when the tnsnames.ora file is incorrectly
formatted. In other works what you see may not be what oracle SQL*NET see's.

We went days trying to find out why we could not resolve the data base name. Only to find out that "TABS" are translated as something other than spaces in the listener.ora and the tnsnames.ora lines can only have spaces. Try removing all pre space for each line in your tnsnames.ora file and see if you can connect. Another thing to try is look at the communications layers. We were using FTP's PCTCP software and SQL*NET needed winsock and MFTP.EXE to be loaded first. Lastly; We were preceding the data base name with tns: i.e. tns:database.

Hope this will help.

Jeff Received on Sun Jul 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message