Re: running two oracle databases

From: Eddy Setiawan <setiawan_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: 1995/07/07

angusliu_at_hk.super.net (Mr Angus Che Yeung Liu) wrote:

>Hi,
> I'm quite new to oracle. I've got this question: I want to run two
>oracle server instance at the same time, one for production and the other
>for testing. I want to switch between the two database. Besides,
>changing the ORACLE_SID parameter, how can I easily switch to other
>database, let's say testing database, when I'm using the production
>database ??

I'm quite new in Oracle myself :-) But try this, it might be what you need, assuming your testing database is called "testing":

 	sqlplus scott/tiger_at_testing (if you're at the OS prompt) or
	connect scott/tiger_at_testing (if you're in SQL*Plus).

> Another question: I'm used to use SQL*NET V1 which start the oracle
>service by "orasrv", however I recently installed the SQL*NET V2, I've
>found that orasrv has disappeared, instead, I've told that I should start
>tnrlsrv. However, I find that there is no respond, what's wrong ??

Try using the Listerner Control by issuing this from OS prompt:

         lsnrctl start

If you don't specify the "start" key word, it will give you Listerner Control prompt. Just type "help" to get more help. This file is located in $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.

Hope this help,

--
Eddy Setiawan (setiawan_at_singnet.com.sg)
DBA, National Computer Board of Singapore (NCB), http://www.ncb.gov.sg