Re: Tablespace limitations

From: <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1995/07/06

> rkarpa_at_northcup.eurostar.de (Ralf Karpa) writes:
> Hi mtackett_at_dayton.csc.com!
>
> Reply to a message from mtackett_at_dayton.csc.com to All:
>
> m> I am running ORACLE7 on a HP-UX machine. I am relatively new to ORACLE
> m> DBA administration. I am getting an error ORA-01118: cannot add any
> m> more database files: limit of 30 exceeded. Does anyone know what
> m> might be causing this problem?
> I think, that you have set the parameter "maxdatafiles" in the "CREATE
> DATABASE" command to this value. This means, that you not have more than 30
> datafiles. From this point, there is no way to extend this, without creating a
> new database, because ORACLE reserves this number of slots in the control-files
> of the database. But they forgot to have a utility, which lets you extend the
> number of slots.
>

> Bye Ralf!

actually, you can increase the value for maxdatafiles by using the CREATE CONTROLFILE command to recreate the controlfile. BE CAREFUL! Make sure that you have the database backed up just in case you mess up.

The process would go something like this: (please read the documentation...I might have left something out...)

  1. ALTER SYSTEM BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;
   This creates trace file in your dump location.

2. Edit trace file to remove misc junk, and to change the value for maxdatafiles.

3. Shutdown your database.

4. Take a backup (just in case)

5. Startup the database NOMOUNT

6. Connect internal and run the CREATE CONTROLFILE command.

7. ALTER DATABASE OPEN; (You may need to say RESETLOGS too, I forget)

Good Luck!

Bob Received on Thu Jul 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message