Re: creating odbc driver with dbtools.h++ for Oracle7

From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_grad.missouri.edu>
Date: 1995/07/05

In article <3tedld$9gj_at_denver.denver.ssds.com> kgv_at_godel.denver.ssds.com (Kurt Vaag) writes:
>From: kgv_at_godel.denver.ssds.com (Kurt Vaag)
>Subject: creating odbc driver with dbtools.h++ for Oracle7
>Date: 5 Jul 1995 16:12:29 GMT

>I have been asked to write an ODBC driver for Oracle7 using the dbtools.h++
>objects. The idea is to incur a one time cost (the dbtools.h++ source code)
>and create drivers for MSWindows and MacIntosh, instead of paying license
>fees for 50+ copies (most of which are to be on MacIntoshes).

snip
>Any comments on this subject would be appreciated.

>Thanks beforehand,
>Kurt

Good grief. Sounds like your boss needs a reality check. You can buy drivers for Macs for about $100/copy (maybe get a volume discount). The windows drivers from Oracle are free.

So 50 copies _at_ 100 each = $5000.

That vs.

dbtools++ source = ????
Compilers for Mac and PC = $300+
Your time = 3 months at 3K per + benifits = Minimum $9000

And your project is to be finished when? Aw, gee you've got a unix box right? Why not just write your own RDBMS using string.h, stdio.h, etc as well?

Not flaming on you Kurt; I've seen this kind of boss before. They think that just because the source is available, that you ought to be able to do anything with it. When in fact it is much more cost effective to just buy a product instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Maybe its time to look for another job/boss. Good Luck Andy
Andrew McAllister -- mcallister_at_grad.missouri.edu Office of Research, University of Missouri-Columbia The views above are my own, and NOT those of my employer. Received on Wed Jul 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message