Remote Access Suggestions?

From: Karl Moskowski <kmoskows_at_mail.rogers.com>
Date: 1995/07/05

We've developed an app with PowerBuilder that connects to Oracle via TCP/IP. Now the users want to access the database while on the road from modem-connected laptops, but they don't have the money to modify the app to work with something like Oracle Mobile Agents. We need a SLIP-like tool that we could just plug in somewhere (i.e., something as seamless as possible). We did try SLIP, but couldn't get it working.

Here's our set-up:

  • PowerBuilder Enterprise 4.0 running on Windows 3.1;
  • Oracle 7 running on a RS/6000 (soon to be 7.1);
  • SQL*Net 1.0.17 (soon to be 2.0);
  • Novell LAN WorkPlace (TCP/IP) 4.12.

Any suggestions of products and/or vendors would be greatly appreciated.

|Karl Moskowski, Programmer Analyst |                            |
|Rogers Shared Services             | #include "std/disclaimer.h"|
|Markham, Ontario, Canada           |                            |