Re: zombies

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1995/07/05

In article <3st0u8$a53_at_newsserver.trl.OZ.AU> aaj_at_phantom.telecom.com.au (Tony Jambu) writes:
>In article <3smds6$jg3_at_ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck
>Hamil
>ton) writes:
>> In <DApr6s.GxF_at_koko.csustan.edu> jfruetel_at_ainet.com (John Fruetel)
>> writes:
>> >
>> >You might want to see if you can fiddle with the TCP/IP KEEPALIVE
>> >option on your host. I don't know about Solaris, but this can be
>> >changed on SCO Unix from the default of two hours to something else (5
>> >minutes in our case) and any "zombies" get nuked after 5 minutes.
>>
>> Wouldn't that also "nuke" processes that were running long ( > 5
>> minute) queries?
>
>No. Because the the tcp deamon will tru to communicate with the PC by
>sending a probe. If no answer is received it waits for 75 seconds.
>It then sends another probe. This goes on for 10 times and ONLY then
>does it kills the process running on the server.
>
>Having said that, I have to qualify this. The orginal posters question
>was to do with ZOMBIES or defunc processes and clent PCs rebooting.
>They are both different problems.
>
>Zombies occur when the child process gets killed and is trying to communicate
>with the parent process to inform it and is unable to. It then becomes
>a zombie or defunc process. Zombie proceses DO NOT use any Oracle
>resources nor take any machine resources. So is not a problem.

That is, if you don't consider
PROC:TABLE IS FULL
blowing off random users a problem.

_I_ know how to deal with it, the problem is new customers who don't know how to configure their systems find this very frightening.

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.