Re: forms3 dates<6 digits

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 1995/07/03

DOUGLAS-KELLEY_at_UIOWA.EDU writes:

>I'm interested if any one has a way to handle entering
>a date into a date field in forms 3.0 with less than 6
>digits.

>If there is no way to get the date to go in correctly,
>is there a way to force the user to enter 011295, or
>flash a message if they enter less than 6 digits.

Two possibilities:

  1. Don't use the real date field, use a dummy char(6) field, which you load from the database field on queries and copy to the database field whenever it changes. Then you can write an on-validate-field procedure to fiddle with the data entried to your heart's content before converting it to a date. (This sometimes causes problems if you only partially validate the data yourself, though.)
  2. You can set the 'Fixed Length' field characteristic, which forces the entry to be exactly six characters if not null. --- Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie nolan_at_tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.com, nolan_at_inetnebr.com (posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)