Re: Datafile Sizing Question

From: Michael Marsden <mmarsden_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/07/01

Karl Penney (aa651_at_ccn.cs.dal.ca) wrote:
: Is there a method people use to determine how big to make your datafiles
: when you know approximately the size of the tablespace? For example, we
: are going to have a 6 gig tablespace on a Sun Sparc 1000. Since the unix
: file size is limited to 2 gig, should we make 3 large datafiles (2 gig
: each) or several smaller ones. Is it a good idea to make your datafiles
: as large as you can?

: --
: DMR Group, Halifax, NS | | _/\_\ /_/\_ | |
: aa651_at_cfn.cs.dal.ca | | >___________< | |
: 74203.673_at_compuserve.com |______| | |______|

If performance is an issue, you may consider several smaller datafiles on seperate drives ...
You can calculate the size of a row by ... i'm at home and have no manuals here ... there is a PL/SQL function to determine the physical size of n element ... and somewhere in the server admin docs is a description of the way the data is stored - from there grab your HP Calculator and have fun !

--
Michael Marsden                   "It's the car, right ? Chicks dig the car"
ORACLE Database Consultant                              -- BATMAN Forever --